By Jen Jaromin
24 ounces ground breakfast sausage (half hot, half regular)
4 eggs, beaten
2.5 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon dried sage
.75 teaspoon kosher salt
.25 teaspoon pepper
6 potato bread slices, crusts removed (or other white bread)
2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, parsley, or green onion
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking dish
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly browned, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
3. Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, sage, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
4. Layer the bread in the prepared baking dish and top with the sausage. Pour the egg misture over the sausage and top with the cheese.
5. Bake until strata is set in the middle, about 30 minutes, do not overcook.6. Let cool for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with the chives just before serving.