Mini Hot Browns
Prepared by: Ashley O'Hara
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 pound thinly sliced cooked turkey
- 8 slices bread, toasted
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- In a large skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to absorb all of the butter. Slowly whisk in the milk, and 6 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Stir in the egg to thicken the sauce, but do not allow to boil. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven's broiler. For each Hot Brown, place two slices of toast onto a heatproof plate or dish. Cover the toast with a couple of tomato slices. Place a liberal amount of turkey onto each Hot Brown, and pour an even more liberal amount of sauce over. Smother that baby. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over the top. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place the entire dish under the broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, criss-cross two slices of bacon on top, and serve!
I used slices of a French Bagetts for the bread and place them all on one cookie sheet with the toppings to make the mini-hot browns.